The Australian Maritime Mentoring Program is an exciting new joint initiative between the Australasian Marine Pilots Institute, the Nautical Institute, the Company of Master Mariners of Australia, Offshore and Specialist Ships Australia and the Pilbara Ports Authority.
The program has been developed to bridge the gap between new entrants to the maritime industry and the senior maritime professionals who are already established in their careers. It can be difficult for someone new to the industry to understand the numerous pathways for career development, for instance how does one become a Harbour Pilot, a VTS Operator, a Maritime Claims Investigator or a Shipping Company Operations Manager? These are questions that an experienced maritime professional can easily answer. A significant number of Maritime events are held throughout Australia every year and it would be great to see mentors bringing their mentees to these events and helping them to network whilst supporting them in that next step towards achieving greatness. We can grow our industry by preparing the next generation of leaders.
We also hope that the Australian Maritime Mentoring Program will allow those new entrants to the industry to educate us and help our member organisations better understand the challenges and issues that they face, especially in relation to training. If we can understand those issues, we can better provide relevant guidance to government and industry on how to prepare for the future.
Our mentoring program has been in development for around 8 months with particular support from the President of The Nautical Institute, Jillian Carson-Jackson, Captain Jeanine Drummond and Captain Patrick Walsh. We have taken inspiration from the highly successful Honourable Company of Master Mariners mentoring scheme in the United Kingdom where Captain Brian Cushing has kindly provided guidance on the issues that they have faced and methods to overcome them.
We have purposely elected to have only one prerequisite to become a mentee and that is to be a member of one of the participating organisations – The Nautical Institute (member, associate member or student member), Company of Master Mariners of Australia, the Australasian Marine Pilots Institute (associate member), Offshore & Specialist Ships Australia, and Pilbara Ports Authority (employee or cadet).
Our program is completely free, all that we ask is for motivation and dedication from both parties.
- Assisting, encouraging and supporting Mentees, as they progress through the various stages of their career, to become competent, confident and well trained professional seafarers.
- Encourage and empower personal development
- Support and promote diversity and inclusion
- Promote a vibrant maritime community within Australia
- Promote membership in the participating organisation.
- Ensuring that our participating organisations can remain engaged in the training and development of seafarers.
- Enhancing the reputation of the participating organisations.
- Associate Member of the Australasian Marine Pilots Institute, or
- Member, Associate Member or Student Member of the Nautical Institute, or
- Member of the Company of Master Mariners of Australia.
- Member of Offshore & Specialist Ships Australia
In addition, you must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Not yet a member? You can join AMPI by clicking here. Associate membership for students and non-pilots is $110. Join Now!